Late night baking update: savory-sweet rosemary butter cookies
This dispatch comes to you in the midst of the ceremonial first procrastination of the new academic year, since I am responsible for presenting a paper at tomorrow morning’s lab meeting and have put off making slides for about as long as possible. Even though the slides aren’t done yet, I did bake some de-abso-fucking-lutely-licious sweet and savory cookies (thanks, Mark Bittman!)
- Preheat the oven to 375 F.
- Combine 2 c flour, 1 t baking powder, a pinch of salt, 1 t minced fresh rosemary (or 1/2 t dried), and 1/4 t freshly ground black pepper in a bowl.
- Cream 1/2 c sugar together with one stick of softened butter with a fork, and beat until nice and fluffy.
- Add half the dry ingredients to the sugar and butter mixture, and beat for about a minute.
- Add 1/4 c red wine, and beat for about 10 seconds (just long enough to combine).
- Add the rest of the dry ingredients, and stir, only as much as necessary to make a soft dough that holds together reasonably well (you may need to add a bit more wine to get it wet enough).
- Bake for 10-ish minutes, until just starting to brown. Let ’em cool for about 2 minutes on the sheet, and then move them to a cooling rack and dust with confectioners sugar.
Let me tell you: these things are delicious. They are, as advertised, both sweet and savory, and now I’m not even upset that there is no chocolate in my apartment and it is way too late to go to the store.
- RT @Nahir_Otano: I've been mistaken for the waiter while wearing the same conference tag as the person that got "confused." https://t.co/rH… 1 day ago
- "does it matter if a machine makes your art? what if that machine is a dad?" #litbot 1 day ago
- RT @andrewrfreed: That's the part that gets left out of AI training conversations! twitter.com/lousylinguist/… 1 day ago
- RT @EamonCaddigan: Science is practiced by humans, who usually aren't any of these things. twitter.com/michaelshermer… 1 day ago
- RT @internetofshit: america: it's time to learn what a VPN is and use it for everything that's your reality now 1 day ago
my name is dave